[rdo-list] Multiple tools for deploying and testing TripleO

Dan Yasny dyasny at redhat.com
Thu Aug 4 20:24:50 UTC 2016

On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 2:55 PM, Wesley Hayutin <whayutin at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> effort
>>> gather,
>>> and

>>> with
>>> on
>>> could
>>> email

>>> and
>>> at

>>> that
>>>
>>> Not everyone should use tripleo.sh. My point is that we should move
>>> forward with a common tool, and stop enlarging the gap between tools.
>>> We have created (and are still doing) a technical dept where we have
>>> multiple tools with a ton of overlap, the more we wait, more difficult
>>> it will be to clean this up.
>>>

>> +1

>>> doesn't.

>>> that
>>> of
>>> fine
>>>
>>> I called quickstart because that's the one I see everyday but my
>>> frustration is about all our tools in general.
>>> I'm actually a OOOQ user and I like this tool, really.
>>> But as you can see, I'm also working on tripleo-ci right now because I
>>> want TripleO CI better and I haven't seen until now some interest to
>>> converge.
>>> James started something cool by trying to deploy an undercloud using
>>> OOOQ from tripleo-ci. That's a start ! We need things like this,
>>> prototyping convergence, and see what we can do.
>>>

>> +1 working in multiple ci systems is painful, I know your pain!
>> I've been playing around w/ Jame's patch [1] to see if I can help.
>> I like Jame's approach, I think I may be missing some setup steps that
>> nodepool provides.

>>> instack-virt-setup
>>> think
>>>
>>> Gotcha. It was just some examples.

>>> are
>>> CI.
>>> of a
>>> are

>>> the
>>>
>>> That's something we can try.

>>> tripleo
>>>
>>> My opinion on this is that upstream and downstream CI should only differ
>>> on:
>>> * the packages (OSP vs RDO)
>>> * the scenarios (downstream could have customer-specific things)
>>> And that's it. Tools should remain the same IMHO.

>>> what do
>>>
>>> I spent the last months working on composable roles and I have now
>>> more time to work on CI; $topic is definitely something where I would
>>> like to help.
>>>

>> woot, I'm excited that you are freeing up and can be more involved!
>> Thanks as usual Emilien!
>>

>>> --
>>> Emilien Macchi
>>>

> I would add one thing.. If there are folks out there that rely on CI or CI
> tools and need to be part of this process than please speak up!
> If you have tools, ideas, requirements now's a pretty good time to be
> verbose about it.  Some of you already have, some have not.

After the quickstart fiasco and the uncertainty around infrared, what I
really want to see is a simple, adjustable/configurable and useful
replacement for instack-virt (which is the only working dpeloyment tool I
currently have). I have several issues with instack-virt, but none of them
are critical enough to care much, since my setups tend to be very short
lived, and I prefer a faster deployment to features atm.

Any script that will do what instack-virt does, but also will allow me to
adjust the parameters of the deployed VMs (disk/s; cpu; ram; NICs), and be
able to predict the VMs' IP addresses without a cumbersome framework around
it will be perfect.