[rdo-list] [Rdo-newsletter] RDO Community Newsletter, August 2016

Rich Bowen rbowen at redhat.com
Wed Aug 3 17:28:30 UTC 2016

(Having trouble with the formatting? See the message at
https://www.rdoproject.org/newsletter/2016-august/ )

Thanks for being part of the RDO community!

    Mitaka 2

After a lot of work by the TripleO team, we have Mitaka milestone 2
packages available for RDO. To give it a try, you can use either
Packstack or TripleO.

To get started, on a fresh CentOS or RHEL VM:

|yum -y install yum-plugin-priorities cd /etc/yum.repos.d/ sudo wget
http://trunk.rdoproject.org/centos7/delorean-deps.repo sudo wget
http://trunk.rdoproject.org/centos7/current-passed-ci/delorean.repo |

Then for a packstack-based install, start with step 2 of the quickstart
<https://www.rdoproject.org/install/quickstart/>, or, for TripleO-based
installs, see the TripleO quickstart
<https://www.rdoproject.org/tripleo/> or the TripleO quickstart USB key
<https://www.rdoproject.org/tripleo/oooq-usbkey/>.

And now, were forging ahead towards milestone 3, which is scheduled
<http://releases.openstack.org/newton/schedule.html> for the week of
August 29th. We're planning a test day for September 8th and 9th
<https://www.rdoproject.org/testday/newton/milestone3> to ensure that
it's the best version of RDO yet.

    Community Bloggers

We've had some great blog posts from the RDO community over the last
month. You will want to particularly check out these:

  *

    Introduction to Red Hat OpenStack Platform Director
    <http://tm3.org/83>, by Marcos Garcia.

  *

    Improving RDO packaging testing coverage <http://tm3.org/7y>, by
    David Simard.

  *

    How to build new OpenStack packages <http://tm3.org/7-> by Chandan
    Kumar.

  *

    Who is Testing Your Cloud? <http://tm3.org/7k> by Maria Bracho.

  *

    Improving the RDO Trunk infrastructure <http://tm3.org/7n> by Javier
    Pena.

If you're blogging about RDO or OpenStack, and want to be included in
our weekly blog highlights post on rdo-list
<https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/rdo-list>, please drop me a
note with your blog address. Thanks!

    Happy Birthday OpenStack!

Six years ago in July, OpenStack was announced at the O'Reilly Open
Source Convention. In that time, it's grown from 2 companies to over 300
<https://www.openstack.org/foundation/companies/>, and from a handful of
projects to more than 50
<http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/governance/tree/reference/projects.yaml>.

We hope you had an opportunity to attend one of the many 6th birthday
meetups <https://goo.gl/mmRtXi> around the world. I attended
<https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPfBEdr9uDhnKCjUGvk43v_JvEUeth7PWmBqREhfL6H3i3VmfFotMsoQ1wUhNbXGA?key=bDVzejloamVmMVFtRXZTZ3hudTJQbGdXUnZQMlZR> ours
right here in Lexington, Kentucky
<http://www.meetup.com/OpenStack-Kentucky/events/232204499/> where we
had about 35 OpenStack enthusiasts from the University of Kentucky
College of Engineering, where OpenStack, and a 6PB Ceph cluster, support
the various research projects around the University, as well as student
projects in the school of Computer Science.

We also had a good turnout in Manchester, England
<http://www.meetup.com/Manchester-OpenStack-Meetup/events/232048418/>, Washington,
DC <http://www.meetup.com/OpenStackDC/events/231785648/>, and many other
places.

If you attended one of these meetups, do share your photos and event
reports with us in the RDO G+ community <http://tm3.org/rdogplus>.

    Upcoming Events

Even if you can't make it to the major events where RDO has a presence,
we're often at smaller events around the world.

We'll be at OpenStack SV <https://www.openstacksv.com/> next week in
Mountain View. Drop by the Red Hat booth and ask about RDO. And we'll be
at OpenStack East <http://www.openstackeast.com/> in New York, August
23rd and 24th. There, too, we'll be in the Red Hat booth.

Looking a little further out, we'll also be at the upcoming PyCon in
India <https://in.pycon.org/2016/> in September, and at LinuxCon in
Berlin <http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/linuxcon-europe> in
October, as well as, of course, at OpenStack Summit
<https://www.openstack.org/summit> in Barcelona in October.

Other RDO events, including the many OpenStack meetups around the world,
are always listed at http://rdoproject.org/events If you have an
RDO-related event, please feel free to add it by submitting a pull
request to
https://github.com/rbowen/rh-events/blob/master/2016/RDO-Meetups.yml

    TripleO

TripleO - which stands for 'OpenStack On OpenStack' - is a an OpenStack
deployment and management tool, intended to simplify the process of
deploying production OpenStack clouds.

TripleO is a big focus in this cycle, and if you haven't gotten up to
speed yet, there's a great way to do so. Someone has collected an entire
YouTube channel
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNGDxZGwUELpgaBoLvABsTA/> of TripleO
videos.

Next month, in Buffalo, NY, Rain Leander will be giving a talk at Code
Daze about TripleO, and being a TripleO contributor. If you're in the
area, consider attending. Details are at codedaze.io
<http://www.codedaze.io/>.

    Packaging meetings

Every Wednesday at 15:00 UTC, we have the weekly RDO community meeting
<https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/RDO-Meeting> on the #RDO channel on
Freenode IRC. And at 15:00 UTC Thursdays, we have the CentOS Cloud SIG
Meeting on #centos-devel.

    Keep in touch

There's lots of ways to stay in in touch with what's going on in the RDO
community. The best ways are …

      WWW

  * RDO <http://rdoproject.org/>
  * OpenStack Q&A <http://ask.openstack.org/>

      Mailing Lists:

      IRC

  * IRC - #rdo on Freenode.irc.net
  * Puppet module development - #rdo-puppet

      Social Media

  * Follow us on Twitter <http://twitter.com/rdocommunity>
  * Google+ <http://tm3.org/rdogplus>
  * Facebook <http://facebook.com/rdocommunity>

Thanks again for being part of the RDO community!

Rich Bowen - rbowen at redhat.com
RDO Community Liaison
http://rdoproject.org
@RDOCommunity