[rdo-list] [tripleo] Troubles deploying Libery with HA setup

Christopher Brown cbrown2 at ocf.co.uk
Wed Aug 3 10:10:24 UTC 2016

Hi Luca,

On Wed, 2016-08-03 at 09:27 +0100, Luca 'remix_tj' Lorenzetto wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 6:34 PM, Christopher Brown <cbrown2 at ocf.co.uk>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Luca,
>
> Hi Christopher,
>

> > It rings a bell but to be honest I would try the following:
> >
> > 1. Check hosts file on controllers - I wonder what are the content
> > there?
>
> # HEAT_HOSTS_START - Do not edit manually within this section!
> 172.25.122.16 opskvmsvil0.company.it opskvmsvil0
> 172.25.122.15 opskvmsvil1.company.it opskvmsvil1
> 172.25.122.17 opskvmsvil2.company.it opskvmsvil2
> 172.25.122.13 opsctrl0.company.it opsctrl0 overcloud
> 172.25.122.12 opsctrl1.company.it opsctrl1 overcloud
> 172.25.122.14 opsctrl2.company.it opsctrl2 overcloud
> # HEAT_HOSTS_END
>
> Seems fine to me. This is exactly what i intended.

I'm not so sure, you seem to have "overcloud" at the end of all three
controller entries?

> > 2. Revert hostname change and see if it is happy
>
> I'll try. Seems a good solution, but can't understand why this will
> impact if hosts file is correct and hosts can talk each other using
> the assigned name.

Sure but you specifically acknowledge it is one of the things you have
changed so I would be inclined to revert that change and see if the
deploy works.

> > 3. Definitely try and compose from latest stable CentOS SIG Liberty
> > packages (not delorean or DLRN or whatever it is these days)
>
> I already tried this. I had a strange issue while deploying computing
> nodes (puppet errors, don't remember exactly what). That's why i
> returned to my previous mirror since i had successfully deployed a
> 1+3
> setup without issues.
>

> > 4. Try Mitaka perhaps and follow Graeme's instructions here:
> >
> > https://www.redhat.com/archives/rdo-list/2016-June/msg00049.html
> >
> > You can miss step 4 and 6 as these have been resolved.
>
> I'd like to complete the setup with Liberty. We are playing also with
> other distributions (mainly commercial) that are proposing Liberty
> and
> we'd like to have everything aligned. Additionally we'd try a forward
> jump in place, to make a funny release-upgrade test and see what
> happens.

I like the jump release idea but I really would be inclined to run the
newer code as you can always put the upgrade testing into the Newton
release. In a few months Liberty will no longer be supported and I'd be
inclined not to carry the technical debt from an earlier release into a
production deployment, unless you are intending this for testing only?

> > I tend to work back and reduce things down in complexity.
>
> I agree, i'll try.
> >

> > You can specify hostnames as per:
> >
> > http://docs.openstack.org/developer/tripleo-docs/advanced_deploymen
> > t/no
> > de_placement.html
> >
> > but perhaps this is what you are doing in your ~/hostname-
> > nostri.yaml
> > file?
>
> That file has simply this inside:
>
> parameter_defaults:
>         ControllerHostnameFormat: 'opsctrl%index%'
>         ComputeHostnameFormat: 'opskvmsvil%index%'

We have more success with scheduler hints. So in our instackenv.json we
have:

            "capabilities": "node:controller-1,boot_option:local",

and then we have an environment file:

parameter_defaults:
    ControllerSchedulerHints:
        'capabilities:node': 'controller-%index%'
    NovaComputeSchedulerHints:
        'capabilities:node': 'compute-%index%'
    HostnameMap:
      overcloud-controller-0: overcloud-ctrl-customer-0
      overcloud-controller-1: overcloud-ctrl-customer-1
      overcloud-controller-2: overcloud-ctrl-customer-2
      overcloud-novacompute-0: overcloud-comp-customer-0
      overcloud-novacompute-1: overcloud-comp-customer-1

> That is simply because overcloud-novacompute-0 was too long name

Not sure I understand this bit. Assuming an internal requirement rather
than a technical one?

--
Regards,

Christopher