[Rdo-list] #rdo on freenode, logging and upstream OpenStack bots

Dan Sneddon dsneddon at redhat.com
Mon Apr 18 19:45:59 UTC 2016

On 04/18/2016 12:35 PM, Christopher Brown wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2016-04-18 at 20:02 +0100, David Moreau Simard wrote:
>> Hi,
>
> <snipped for brevity>
>
>> Does anyone have any objections to #rdo being logged on eavesdrop ?
>
> None at all.
>
>> What about status updates from openstack-infra or relevant projects
>> gerrit reviews ?
>
> #tripleo does get a bit spammy with the gerrit reviews but its nice to
> see what people are working on and I don't think it gets too noisy.
>
> Please consider implementing either a karmabot or at least the #success
> bot [1]. Its nice when people help each other out to let them know.
>
> [1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Successes
>
>> Thanks and I'll bring this up at the next RDO meeting.
>>
>> David Moreau Simard
>> Senior Software Engineer | Openstack RDO
>>
>> dmsimard = [irc, github, twitter]

> --
> Regards,
>
> Christopher Brown
> OpenStack Engineer
> OCF plc
>
> Tel: +44 (0)114 257 2200
> Web: www.ocf.co.uk
> Blog: blog.ocf.co.uk
> Twitter: @ocfplc
>
> Please note, any emails relating to an OCF Support request must always
> be sent to support at ocf.co.uk for a ticket number to be generated or
> existing support ticket to be updated. Should this not be done then OCF
> cannot be held responsible for requests not dealt with in a timely
> manner.
>
> OCF plc is a company registered in England and Wales. Registered number
> 4132533, VAT number GB 780 6803 14. Registered office address: OCF plc,
> 5 Rotunda Business Centre, Thorncliffe Park, Chapeltown, Sheffield S35
> 2PG.
>
> This message is private and confidential. If you have received this
> message in error, please notify us immediately and remove it from your
> system.

I think this all sounds great, as long as we aren't duplicating the
automated messages. For instance, since we already receive all the
Gerrit reviews in #tripleo, I wouldn't want to also receive them in
#rdo at the same time.

I also think it might not be a bad idea to implement a MOTD that spat
out links to documentation, FAQs, known-workarounds, how-to-contribute
docs, etc. periodically, perhaps a few times a day. This might help
some people self-service rather than posting a question in #rdo and
possibly not seeing a response in a timely manner.

--
Dan Sneddon         |  Principal OpenStack Engineer
dsneddon at redhat.com |  redhat.com/openstack