[Rdo-list] RDO blogs, April 18

Rich Bowen rbowen at redhat.com
Mon Apr 18 16:31:52 UTC 2016

This has been a big few weeks for RDO, and for OpenStack in general,
with the Mitaka release coming out, and OpenStack Summit just around the
corner.

Here's some of what RDO enthusiasts have been blogging about in the last
few days.

RDO Mitaka released by Rich Bowen

The RDO community is pleased to announce the general availability of the
RDO build for OpenStack Mitaka for RPM-based distributions - CentOS
Linux 7 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux. RDO is suitable for building
private, public, and hybrid clouds and Mitaka is the 13th release from
the OpenStack project, which is the work of more than 2500 contributors
from around the world.

… read more at http://tm3.org/65

What, Why, and How is the CentOS Cloud SIG? by Rich Bowen

2 years ago we started the CentOS Cloud SIG. Progress has been slow but
steady. Slow, I think, because we've not done a wonderful job of
explaining what it's for, and why it matters. But it has been a very
important aspect of moving the RDO project forward, so it deserves
better explanation.

… read more at http://tm3.org/66

Naming is hard or Who Let The Vowels Out by Alan Pevec

When Derek Higgins started the tool to build OpenStack packages based on
latest upstream aka "trunk" changes, the name Delorean seemed like a
good choice: the tool is keeping older builds so you could "go back in
time" like with a time machine, it's geeky enough and there's Irish
connection.

… read more at http://tm3.org/67

Integrating OpenStack into the Enterprise by Michael Solberg

Adoption of OpenStack in the enterprise has been progressing steadily
over the last two years. As a Forrester Report* on enterprise adoption
from September noted, “OpenStack demonstrates the completeness,
robustness, and capability upon which a broader range of adopters can
depend.” OpenStack deployments have proven to be complex in larger IT
organizations though, but not because of the reasons that you might
anticipate. Much has been made about the complexity of installing the
software, but we’ve found that the lion’s share of effort in these
implementation comes around the practice of integrating IaaS into the
fabric of enterprise IT and evolving existing processes to meet the
expectations of the user community.

… read more at http://tm3.org/68

Getting Started with Puppet for Keystone by Adam Young

Tripleo uses Puppet to manage the resources in a deployment. Puppet has
a command line tool to look at resources.

… read more at http://tm3.org/69

What did you do in Mitaka: Ihar Hrachyshka talks about Neutron by Rich Bowen

In this installment of our "What did you do in Mitaka?" series, Ihar
Hrachyshka talks about his work on Neutron both in Mitaka, and what's
planned for Newton.

… read (and listen) more at http://tm3.org/6a

What did you do in Mitaka? : Ivan Chavero by Rich Bowen

The OpenStack cloud software project recently released the Mitaka
release. RDO is a community distribution of OpenStack. I've invited
several of the engineers that work on RDO to talk about what they did in
the Mitaka cycle.

… read (and listen) more at http://tm3.org/6b

Learning something new about Oslo Versioned Objects byGorka Eguileor

If you work on an OpenStack project that is in the process of adopting
Versioned Objects or has recently adopted them, like we have in Cinder,
you’ve probably done some code reviews, and even implemented a couple of
Versioned Objects yourself, and are probably thinking that you know your
way around them pretty well, but maybe there are some gaps in that
knowledge that you are not aware of, specially if you are taking Nova’s
or Cinder’s code as reference, at least I know I had some gaps. If you
aren’t a seasoned Versioned Object user like the Nova people are, I
recommend you keep reading.

… read more at http://tm3.org/6c

TripleO with already deployed servers by James Slagle

Recently I’ve been prototyping how to use TripleO with already deployed
and provisioned servers. In such a scenario, Nova and Ironic would not
be used to do the initial operating system provisioning of the Overcloud
nodes. Instead, the nodes would already be powered on, running an OS,
and ready to start to configure OpenStack.

… read more at http://tm3.org/6d

Rich Bowen - rbowen at redhat.com
OpenStack Community Liaison
http://rdoproject.org/