[Rdo-list] Demo: Rack On a Laptop Part II (RDO, L3, VXLAN)

Andrius Benokraitis andrius at cumulusnetworks.com
Thu Apr 14 16:26:12 UTC 2016

Greetings all,

I’m proud to present on behalf of Cumulus Networks our second installment of “Rack on a Laptop” demo series. The first was released last year using RDO, layer 2 networking, and the Cumulus ML2 mechanism driver[1].

The new release includes RDO, VXLAN, and layer 3 networking all the way to the compute nodes using the Linux quagga package. Imagine no more VLANs thanks to VXLAN, and no more IP address bookkeeping in the rack thanks to layer 3 networking. The topology was recently proven in larger scale with collaboration with Dell and Red Hat in a 9-rack/300+ node test environment along with a press release[3].

If you have VirtualBox, you can give the demo a try for free, as it is community supported. It includes everything you need to demo OpenStack and switches as virtual machines (Cumulus VX) and is just a smaller scale of the test we conducted. FYI: Both demos use LinuxBridge.

If you have any questions or comments, we will be demoing and speaking about this in Austin. Swing by our booth and pick up some awesome stickers[4][5] as well. :-)

Regards,

Andrius Benokraitis

[1] Part I: https://support.cumulusnetworks.com/hc/en-us/articles/215832697
[2] Part II: https://support.cumulusnetworks.com/hc/en-us/articles/216634868