[Rdo-list] RDO-Manager "quickstart"

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Wed Sep 23 20:27:54 UTC 2015

I've been using packstack to build an allinone controller and then add
compute nodes.  I do some modification of cinder backend/size, nova
networking, openvswitch, neutron, vlans and interface NICs.  I modify
settings after packstack so I exclude previously configured nodes from
being modified when I add a new compute node.

We develop an application that uses the openstack APIs and it is very
useful to be stand up an allinone and a compute node the same way every
time.  It's more important for us to have multiple clouds than multiple
nodes.  Having 2 nodes means we can do some internode work that won't be on
an allinone.

We can also use this setup for a customer POC to see our software run w/o
spending lots on a real cloud.  Some will only purchase on physical system
so it's important that we don't require a 2nd system just to standup the
cloud.  Running off a DVD with no internet access in a customer lab means
they see our software run.

I am interested in KVM on KVM.  It would let me have more cloud controllers
:-)

I've been able to stand up a slow allinone in virtualbox or vmware with 1
GB RAM, 1 CPU and 20 GB.  I haven't been able to get a compute node to go
with it.  Probably because connecting the compute NICs on layer 2 isn't
done quite right in the hypervisor.