[Rdo-list] RDO-Manager "quickstart"

Perry Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Fri Sep 18 21:20:41 UTC 2015

> 32 GB RAM is not actually a big problem, but test "b" will require 8
> CORE CPU at least  like
> Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2690 (costs about $2000) and corresponding
> board, which require
> business environment and would fail on desktop CPU. Even expensive i7 (
> Haswell Kernel) top line
> models won't provide ability to test "b", only "a" due to 4 CORES
> limitation even with HT enabled.
> Please, correct me if I am wrong about that.

I don't think overcommitting cores is as big of a deal as overcommitting
RAM. Yes, things will be slower, but it's a linear slowdown vs.
overcommit of RAM which leads to swap and orders of magnitude slowdown.

So I would think b, which requires 6VMs (if you are running just one
nested instance) is still doable with a 4 core HT machine.

Again, it's not going to perform very well, but to just try out the
deployment and see what things look like, I would think it would be
sufficient

I have a 32GB "Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz" on my desk, so
I'd be happy to test the theory if I can get instructions simple enough
to run [1].

Perry

[1] Where simple enough refers to simple enough for even a manager/non-
    developer to follow...