[Rdo-list] packstack future

Jeff Peeler jpeeler at redhat.com
Tue Sep 8 20:02:01 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 10:42 AM, James Slagle <jslagle at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > 2. Many people are interested in easier ways to stand up PoC environments
> > via rdo-manager, so we do need to work on ways to make that easier (or
> even
> > possible at all in the single-node case).
> >
> > 3. It would be really great if we could figure out (2) in such a way as
> > enable a simple migration path from packstack to whatever the PoC mode of
> > rdo-manager ends up being, for example perhaps we could have an rdo
> manager
> > interface which is capable of consuming a packstack answer file?
> >
> > Re the thread you reference, it raises a number of interesting questions,
> > particularly the similarities/differences between an all-in-one packstack
> > install and an all-in-one undercloud install;
> >
> > >From an abstract perspective, installing an all-in-one undercloud looks
> > lot like installing an all-in-one packstack environment, both sets of
> tools
> > take a config file, and create a puppet-configured all-in-one OpenStack.
> >
> > But there's a lot of potential complexity related to providing a
> > flexible/configurable deployment (like packstack) vs an opinionated
> > bootstrap environment (e.g the current instack undercloud environment).
>
> Besides there being some TripleO related history (which I won't bore
> everyone
> with), the above is a big reason why we didn't just use packstack
> originally to
> install the all-in-one undercloud.
>
> As you point out, the undercloud installer is very opinionated by design.
> It's
> not meant to be a flexible all-in-one *OpenStack* installer, nor do I
> think we
> want to turn it into one. That would just end up in reimplementing
> packstack.
>

> > There are a few possible approaches:
> >
> > - Do the work to enable a more flexibly configured undercloud, and just
> >   have that as the "all in one" solution
>
> -1 :).
>
> > - Have some sort of transient undercloud (I'm thinking a container) which
> >   exists only for the duration of deploying the all-in-one overcloud, on
> >   the local (pre-provisioned, e.g not via Ironic) host.  Some prototyping
> >   of this approach has already happened [1] which I think James Slagle
> has
> >   used to successfully deploy TripleO templates on pre-provisioned nodes.
>
> Right, so my thinking was to leverage the work (or some part of it) that
> Jeff
> Peeler has done on the standalone Heat container as a bootstrap mechanism.
> Once
> that container is up, you can use Heat to deploy to preprovisoned nodes
> that
> already have an OS installed. Not only would this be nice for POC's, there
> are
> also real use cases where dedicated provisioning networks are not
> available, or
> there's no access to ipmi/drac/whatever.

Perhaps off topic, but are people still interested in the Heat standalone
container work? I never received any replies on the openstack-dev list when
I asked for direction on how to best integrate with TripleO. I need to
bring it up to date to work with recent changes of Kolla (and will do so if
people are interested after getting the ironic containers completed).

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-August/071613.html