[Rdo-list] Question about Restart=always in systemd

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Sep 4 15:17:16 UTC 2015

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 04:42:30PM +0200, Daniel Speichert wrote:
> I +1 that issue. I've noticed large differences in the systemd config
> units for many services, often without specific functional needs.
>
> I'd think that "Restart=always" is a good setting for all services.
> What it really brings up is maybe the issue of streamlining the unit
> config files.

For several releases, we've had packaging guidelines in Fedora
encouraging Restart=on-failure or Restart=on-abnormal:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Systemd#Automatic_restarting

We never, however, had an effort to bring existing packages into a
consistent state. I'd love for that effort to happen — anyone
interesting in helping out?

--
Matthew Miller            mattdm at mattdm.org             <http://mattdm.org/>
Fedora Project Leader  mattdm at fedoraproject.org  <http://fedoraproject.org/>