[Rdo-list] Nodes introspection

John Trowbridge trown at redhat.com
Thu Oct 8 11:29:09 UTC 2015

On 10/08/2015 04:18 AM, Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
> On 10/08/2015 12:51 AM, Marius Cornea wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> A couple of questions regarding introspection (following the upstream
>> docs):
>>
>> 1. Is Swift still used for storing nodes introspection details? I see
>> no Swift object resulting after running introspection.
>
> I think it's temporary disabled due to transition discoverd ->
> inspector, and will be reenabled as soon as we fix the high priority
> issues.

The short answer is that there is now a store_data option in the
[processing] section that controls this behavior. It defaults to none,
but can be set to 'swift'.

Right now, we are not collecting very much, so there is not really much
point in defaulting it to 'swift', but I plan on follow-up patches to
the puppet support for inspector [1][2] to add the ability to specify
extra collectors (logging, python-hardware, etc.) along with defaulting
to storing data in swift.

I would really prefer if the one remaining critical fix [3] is the last
patch to the inspector bash element, as trying to develop both in
parallel has been a bit cumbersome.

>> 2. During introspection I can see error messages on the VMs
>> console(running a virt environment) but it's hard to record them since
>> the VM quickly turns off. What's the proper way to debug this?
>
> Is it with ironic-python-agent, right? If so, I've noted that it always
> fails to connect to inspector. Then it is restart by systemd, and the
> second attempts succeeds. We'll have procedure in place to collect logs
> from the ramdisk, but it's not wired in yet as well. Anyway, if the
> introspection works at all, you should not be too concerned for now :)
>

>> 3. The profile matching docs[1] reference ironic-discoverd which has
>> now become ironic-inspector. How can we make this work?
>> s/discoverd/inspector/ ?
>
> Profile matching is in especially uncertain state right now. Thanks for
> reminder, we should start sorting out - as soon as introspection is part
> of the gate again.

Ya we are not even collecting the the data that was previously used for
profile matching right now. Getting working RDO CI has taken priority
for me over this.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/223690/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/228190/
[3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/231656/