[Rdo-list] RDO blog roundup, week of November 3

Rich Bowen rbowen at redhat.com
Tue Nov 3 19:50:47 UTC 2015

Due to travels, it's been 2 weeks since the last RDO blog update. In
conjunction with OpenStack Summit having been last week, this means that
I have a huge list of blog posts to catch you up on this week.

(The web version of this summary may be found at
http://rdoproject.org/blog/2015/11/rdo-blog-roundup-week-of-november-3/

Ansible 2.0: The Docker connection driver, by Lars Kellogg-Stedman

As the release of Ansible 2.0 draws closer, I'd like to take a look at
some of the new features that are coming down the pipe. In this post,
we'll look at the docker connection driver.

… read more at http://tm3.org/35

RDO test day summary by Rich Bowen

A big thanks to everyone that participated in the RDO Test Day over the
last 48 hours. Here's a few statistics from the day.

… read more at http://tm3.org/36

Bootstrapping Ansible on Fedora 23 by Lars Kellogg-Stedman

If you've tried running Ansible against a Fedora 23 system, you may have
run into the following problem:

… read more at http://tm3.org/37

Stupid Ansible Tricks: Running a role from the command line by Lars
Kellogg-Stedman

When writing Ansible roles I occasionally want a way to just run a role
from the command line, without having to muck about with a playbook.
I've seen similar requests on the mailing lists and on irc.

… read more at http://tm3.org/38

Admin, by Adam Young

While I tend to play up bug 968696 for dramatic effect, the reality is
we have a logical contradiction on what we mean by ‘admin’ when talking
about RBAC.

… read more at http://tm3.org/39

Announcing the Release of Kolla Liberty by Steve Dake

Hello OpenStackers! The Kolla community is pleased to announce the
release of the Kolla Liberty. This release fixes 432 bugs and implements
58 blueprints!

… read more at http://tm3.org/3a

DevOps in a Bi-Modal World (Part 3 of 4) by James Labocki

In Part 2 of this series, we discussed what IT needs to do in a Mode 1
world to make itself more relevant to the business and reduce
complexity. In this part, we will turn our attention to Mode 2 and
discuss how the organization can solve its challenges by improving
agility and increasing scalability.

… read more at http://tm3.org/3b

Cinder HA Active-Active specs up for review by Gorka Eguileor

It’s been some time since the last time I talked here about High
Availability Active-Active configurations in Openstack’s Cinder service,
and now I am quite pleased -and a little bit embarrassed it took so
long- to announce that all specs are now up for reviewing.

… read more at http://tm3.org/3c

RDO Liberty released in CentOS Cloud SIG by Alan Pevec

We are pleased to announce the general availability of the RDO build for
OpenStack Liberty for CentOS Linux 7 x86_64, suitable for building
private, public and hybrid clouds. OpenStack Liberty is the 12th release
of the open source software collaboratively built by a large number of
contributors around the OpenStack.org project space.

… read more at http://tm3.org/3d

DevOps in a Bi-Modal World (Part 4 of 4) by James Labocki

In this series we have seen the complexity of bridging the gap between
existing infrastructure and processes (Mode 1) and new, agile processes
and architectures (Mode 2). Each brings its own set of challenges and
demands on the organization. In Mode-1 organizations are looking to
increase relevance and reduce complexity, and in Mode-2 they are looking
to improve agility and increase scalability. In this post we will
discuss how Red Hat addresses and solves each of these challenges.

… read more at http://tm3.org/3e

OpenStack Security Groups using OVN ACLs by Russell Bryant

OpenStack Security Groups give you a way to define packet filtering
policy that is implemented by the cloud infrastructure. OVN and its
OpenStack Neutron integration now includes support for security groups
and this post discusses how it works.

… read more at http://tm3.org/3f

RDO Liberty DVR Neutron workflow on CentOS 7.1 by Boris Derzhavets

Per
http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/neutron-specs/specs/juno/neutron-ovs-dvr.html
DVR is supposed to address following problems which has traditional 3
Node deployment schema:-

… read more at http://tm3.org/34

Why the Operating System Matters by Margaret Dawson

In IT today, we love to note that the infrastructure layer has become
commoditized. This started with virtualization, as we could create many
virtual machines within a single physical machine. Cloud has taken us
further with a key value proposition of delivering cloud services on any
standard server or virtualized environment, enabling easier scalability
and faster service delivery, among other benefits.

… read more at http://tm3.org/3g

Ansible 2.0: New OpenStack modules by Lars Kellogg-Stedman

This is the second in a loose sequence of articles looking at new
features in Ansible 2.0. In the previous article I looked at the Docker
connection driver. In this article, I would like to provide an overview
of the new-and-much-improved suite of modules for interacting with an
OpenStack environment, and provide a few examples of their use.

… read more at http://tm3.org/3h

OpenStack Summit Tokyo – Day 0 (Pre-event) by Jeff Jameson

I’ve always enjoyed traveling to Tokyo, Japan, as the people are always
so friendly and willing to help. Whether it’s finding my way through the
Narita airport or just trying to find a place to eat, they’re always
willing to help – even with the language barrier. And each time I visit,
I see something new, learn another word (or two) in Japanese, and it all
just seems new and exciting all over again. Add in the excitement and
buzz of an OpenStack Summit and you’ve got a great week in Tokyo!

… read more at http://tm3.org/3i

Ducks by Rich Bowen

Why ducks?

… read more at http://tm3.org/3j

A Container Stack for OpenStack (Part 1 of 2) by Joe Fernandes

Open source continues to be a tremendous source of innovation and
nowhere is that more evident than at the biannual OpenStack Summit. Over
the past couple of years, as OpenStack interest and adoption has grown,
we’ve seen another important innovation emerge from the open source
community in the form of Linux containers, driven by Docker and
associated open source projects. As the world gathers in Tokyo for
another OpenStack Summit, we wanted to talk about how Red Hat is
bringing these two innovations together, to make OpenStack a great
platform for running containerized applications.

… read more at http://tm3.org/3k

OpenStack Summit Tokyo – Day 1 by Jeff Jameson

Kon’nichiwa from Tokyo, Japan where the 11th semi-annual OpenStack
Summit is officially underway! This event has come a long way from its
first gathering, more than five years ago, where 75 people gathered in
Austin, Texas to learn about OpenStack in its infancy. That’s a sharp
contrast with the 5,000+ people in attendance here in what marks Asia’s
second OpenStack Summit.

… read more at http://tm3.org/3l

What does RDO stand for? by Rich Bowen

The RDO FAQ has long said that RDO doesn't stand for anything. This is a
very unsatisfying answer to one of the most frequently asked questions
about RDO. So, a little while ago, I started saying that RDO stands for
"Rich's Distribution of OpenStack." Although tongue-in-cheek, this
response emphasizes that RDO is a community driven project. So it's also
Radez's Distribution of OpenStack, and Radhesh's and Russel's and
red_trela's. (As well as lots of people whose names don't start with R!)

… read more at http://tm3.org/3m

Proven OpenStack solutions. Simple OpenStack deployment. Powerful
results. by Radhesh Balakrishnan

According to an IDC global survey sponsored by Cisco of 3,643 enterprise
executives responsible for IT decisions, 69% of respondents indicated
that their organizations have a cloud adoption strategy in place. Of
these organizations, 65% say OpenStack is an important part of their
cloud strategy and had higher expectations for business improvements
associated with cloud adoption.

… read more at http://tm3.org/3n

OpenStack Summit Tokyo – Day 2 by Jeff Jameson

Hello again from Tokyo, Japan where the second day of OpenStack Summit
has come to a close with plenty of news, interesting sessions, great
discussion on the showfloor, and more.

… read more at http://tm3.org/3o

A Container Stack for OpenStack (Part 2 of 2) Joe Fernandes

In Part 1 of this blog series, I talked about how Red Hat has been
working with the open source community to build a new container stack
and our commitment to bring that to OpenStack. In Part 2 I will discuss
additional capabilities Red Hat is working on to build an enterprise
container infrastructure and how this is forms the foundation of our
containerized application platform in OpenShift.

… read more at http://tm3.org/3p

OpenStack Summit Tokyo – Day 3 by Jeff Jameson

Hello again from Tokyo, Japan where the third and final day of OpenStack
Summit has come to a close. As with the previous days of the event,
there was plenty of news, interesting sessions, great discussions on the
show floor, and more. All would likely agree that the 11th OpenStack
Summit was a rousing overall success!

… read more at http://tm3.org/3q

Puppet OpenStack plans for Mitaka by Emilien Macchi

Our Tokyo week just ended and I really enjoyed to be at the Summit with
the Puppet OpenStack folks. This blog post summarizes what we did this
week and what we plan for the next release.

… read more at http://tm3.org/3r