[Rdo-list] [OpenStack-docs] [install-guide] Status of RDO

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Mon Nov 2 11:34:33 UTC 2015

> On 21 Oct 2015, at 15:32, Matt Kassawara <mkassawara at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I think packages available for standalone installation (i.e., without a deployment tool) should include complete upstream configuration files in standard locations without modification. In the case of *-dist.conf files with RDO packages, they seldom receive updates leading to deprecation warnings and sometimes override useful upstream default values. For example, most if not all services default to keystone for authentication (auth_strategy), yet the RDO neutron packages revert authentication to "noauth" in the *-dist.conf file. In another example, the RDO keystone package only includes the keystone-paste.ini file as /usr/share/keystone/keystone-dist-paste.ini rather than using the standard location and name which leads to confusion, particularly for new users. The installation guide contains quite a few extra steps and option-value pairs that work around the existence and contents of *-dist.conf files... additions that unnecessarily increase complexity for our audience of new users.

Can you provide links to the guide pages that are complicated by the existence of -dist.conf files?

I agree that some values may not be optimal (f.e. auth_strategy indeed should not be overridden; I sent a patch [1] to remove it from -dist.conf); but in principle, there should be a way for distributions to change defaults, and it should not be expected that all distributions ship identical configuration files.

[1]: https://review.gerrithub.io/#/c/251170/

Ihar