[Rdo-list] [heat]: stack stays interminably under the status create in progress

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Thu May 7 09:45:44 UTC 2015

On Tue, May 05, 2015 at 01:18:17PM +0200, ICHIBA Sara wrote:
>    hello,
>
>    here is my HOT template, it's very basic:
>
>    heat_template_version: 2013-05-23

>    resources:
>    A  my_instance:
>    A A A  type: OS::Nova::Server
>    A A A  properties:
>    A A A A A  image: Cirros 0.3.3
>    A A A A A  flavor: m1.small
>    A A A A A  key_name: userkey
>    A A A A A  networks:
>    A A A A A A A  - network: fdf2bb77-a828-401d-969a-736a8028950f
>
>    for the logs please find them attached.

These logs are a little confusing - it looks like you failed to create the
stack due to some validation errors, then tried again and did a stack-check
and a stack resume?

Can you please set debug = True in the [DEFAULT] section of your heat.conf,
restart heat-engine and try again please?

Also, some basic checks are:

1. When the stack is CREATE_IN_PROGRESS, what does nova list show for the
instance?

2. Is it possible to boot an instance using nova boot, using the same
arguments (image, flavor, key etc) that you specify in the heat template?

I suspect that Heat is not actually the problem here, and that some part of
Nova is either misconfigured or not running, but I can't prove that without
seeing the nova CLI output and/or the nova logs.

Steve