[Rdo-list] GSoC Cloud in a Box

Ivan Chavero ichavero at redhat.com
Fri Jun 19 18:39:30 UTC 2015

Hello,

I was about to propose a Fedora RDO remix, it's nice to know that i'm not
the only one with the idea.

The point here is to enhance the RDO experience so users can install a basic
OpenStack setup from the OS installation step instead of having to manually
setup repos, install packstack, configure and run it as it is recommended
right now on the RDO QuickStart page [1] which IMHO does not feel right.
There's a Fedora remix for digital jounalists and there's none for RDO!! [2].

I've talked about this with the Packstack and Puppet installers team and
the idea was well recieved so i'm more than happy to help on this effort.

The basic idea is:

- Integrate a lightweight installer like  Packstack into anaconda
  - Add Packstack options
    - Standard: All in one install, everything is setup automatically
    - Advanced: Allow the user to set Packstack options in the nice
                way that anaconda does.

- Integrate the RDO repo into the ISO

This will need a lot of development if is decided to generate the remix
automatically wich each new OpenStack. Also it changes to Packstack might
be required since it's concieved to run in an already installed system and
it starts OpenStack services as dependencies while installing (most installers
will do this).

If you want to talk about this, i'm available in the #rdo channel with the nickname: imcsk8

Let me know if you want to get trhough with this because it's very important
effort that could help boost RDO popularity.

[1] https://www.rdoproject.org/Quickstart
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/List_of_Fedora_remixes

Cheers,
Ivan