[Rdo-list] RDO and Upstream Packaging

Jakub Ruzicka jruzicka at redhat.com
Mon Jun 15 13:42:32 UTC 2015

On 12.6.2015 14:32, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> Hey
>
> I started writing an email giving some context on the "upstream
> packaging" conversation on openstack-dev, but the email started getting
> very windy so I made it a blog post instead:
>
> https://blogs.gnome.org/markmc/2015/06/12/rdo-and-upstream-packaging/
>
> Hope that helps. Would love any feedback.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark.

Hey Mark,

I agree with what you wrote and I also share your excitement about
new and better way to package and collaborate we're paving.

OpenStack is just too big and too fast for the usual downstream distro
packaging processes which are slow for a reason (stability). So we need
to find a new approach, something in between the fast moving OpenStack
upstream and slow downstream distros.

We're trying to do that with RDO but ideally, all the parts that are not
specific to our targeted platforms should be moved upstream and everyone
packaging OpenStack should be part of the same packaging community and
ensure OpenStack is easy to package and consume.

> To my mind, the goal here should be to encourage downstream packaging
> teams to work closer to the upstream project, and have downstream
> packaging teams collaborate more with upstream developers.

To my mind, the goal here should be to encourage upstream developer
teams to take packaging into serious consideration, and have upstream
developer teams collaborate more with downstream packagers.

Wordplays aside, it would be much easier if all the packagers were
united across distros and voicing their common problems upstream. There
aren't that many of us compared to devs, you know.

Cheers
Jakub