[Rdo-list] Packaging the big tent (or at least part of it)

Graeme Gillies ggillies at redhat.com
Tue Jun 9 05:38:12 UTC 2015

On 05/28/2015 07:47 AM, Perry Myers wrote:
> On 05/27/2015 05:44 PM, Graeme Gillies wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Oh, yeah, I was assuming a dedicated instance... On the theory that two
>>> instances of the same thing is more desirable than one instance of this
>>> and another instance of that.
>>>

>> While I think having an instance of pkgdb to maintain the ever growing
>> package base in RDO is a good thing (especially as people start needing
>> different acls for different packages for different projects), I still
>> feel it's worthwhile having something higher level (even if it's just a
>> wiki page) tracking the big tent projects themselves by name, and who is
>> responsible for them (maybe links to some of the packages in pkgdb).
>> Could also include a small description of the project, link to the git
>> repo, and maybe a link to the bugzilla bug component for it.
>>
>> >From a user perspective pkgdb is a bit too low level (trying to figure
>> out the package name for a project can be non-trivial sometimes, and
>> some projects are complicated and have more than one "main package").
>> All I want to know is "Is Designate in RDO? If not, has someone
>> committed to packaging it? What's its progress? If it's in RDO, who's
>> responsible for it? How do I flag problems?".
>>
>> Then if someone (perhaps from a project itself) wants to get it into
>> RDO, we can have a small workflow for getting it review, dist git
>> branches setup, and the page officially updated to say this project is
>> incoming to RDO (and then updated when it's officially in).
>>
>> I'll volunteer to help run/maintain such a page/db if people think it's
>> a good idea
>
> +1, I have no objection to someone investigating pkgdb usage, but I
> agree with all of your points above. This is more about high level
> status and advertising what's in RDO and what's planned on getting into RDO
>
> Go ahead and start a page. I think this is something we'd want linked
> off of the main rdoproject.org page

Managed to get some time to circle back around to it. I've created

https://www.rdoproject.org/ProjectsInRDO

Which I believe is mostly correct. Some of the lodge bug links don't
work because it looks like bugzilla components haven't been updated to
include the latest packages (manila, designate, and a few others). I
encourage people to add more to this page, tweak, and correct as
appropriate. It's by no means a complete list.

I would suggest we keep that page only to projects which are officially
a part of Openstack via big tent, to stop the page getting too prolific
of smaller projects (and provide a clear distinction of what should, and
shouldn't be on there). However, if others feel strongly enough to put
everything we have, then by all means please do.

Regards,

Graeme

--
Graeme Gillies