[Rdo-list] Consequences for RDO of the proposal "no longer doing stable point releases"

Jan van Eldik Jan.van.Eldik at cern.ch
Wed Jun 3 09:09:26 UTC 2015

Hi,

At the risk of fragmenting the upstream discussion: what would be the
consequences for RDO of the proposal to no longer provide stable
point releases?

 From our consumer perspective, the RPMs following these stable point
releases have always allowed us to plan our upgrades in a
straightforward way:

- We ignore the initial release :)

- The first point release is the basis for our upgrade campaign,
   where we upgrade component-by-component over a period of a
   few months.

- The deployment of the subsequent point releases is a (usually)
   trivial matter.

I would imagine that other deployers follow similar scenarios.

I think it would be good if RPMs would continue to be produced on
a regular basis, to allow consumers to benefit from the upstream
bug fixes. But I guess we would need to find a balance between
consumer needs and the available packaging effort.

Thoughts?

                 thanks, cheers, Jan