[Rdo-list] [RDO-Manager] [AHC] allow matching without re-sending to ironic-discoverd

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Fri Apr 24 12:22:16 UTC 2015

On 04/24/2015 01:43 PM, John Trowbridge wrote:

> On 04/24/2015 06:50 AM, Dmitry Tantsur wrote:

>>> I put up a POC patch for this here:
>>> https://review.gerrithub.io/#/c/230849/
>>
>> As we discusses already, I'm somewhat worried that we put too much
>> non-ramdisk code into something called rdo-ramdisk-tools :D Probably
>> it's my fault: I didn't realize what you're planning to do. If we keep
>> it that way, we might want to rename the package. Or even more both
>> things to some existing common package - not sure.
>
> I think that benchmark analysis and matching could stand alone as a
> package. I would like to include an openstack client plugin,[1] and it
> would also make sense for the distributed benchmark tools to be in this
> package when we get to that point.
>
> The only place I could see this fitting currently is in the
> enovance/hardware library, as it is doing all of the heavy lifting in
> the current implementation. However, I would eventually like to decouple
> this operator tooling from the backend logic. I think this would be a
> cool idea to present to Ironic, and I see having a hard dependence on
> the hardware library as a deal breaker for that.
>
> That said, the python ramdisk work that you are working on is really
> about benchmark collection. So it would make sense to include in the
> same package as the other operator tooling focused on benchmarks.
>
> What are your thoughts wrt just changing the package name?

We had a quick chat off-channel, and I kind of changed my mind. People
are not found of calling something "rdo-ramdisk-tools", but I realized
that nothing prevents me from putting the ramdisk script into
ironic-discoverd upstream repo.

This way ironic-discoverd will be more feature-complete: we already have
plugins there, but we don't have ramdisk implementation, only generic
one in the ramdisk. Once we start adopting IPA, this code may be of a
lot of help. Maybe we'll transform it into an IPA module.

So it's up to you now how to call/where to put AHC code :)