[Rdo-list] 10 days of rdo manager

James Slagle jslagle at redhat.com
Mon Apr 20 22:42:56 UTC 2015

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 06:49:27PM +0100, Pedro Sousa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I haven't played with it yet, but I would like to know what happens to
> overcloud nodes when you reboot/loose or break your undercloud node.
>
> Do overcloud nodes loose ip connectivity? My understanding is that
> overcloud nodes get dhcp from Neutron. Or do I need to have some HA for
> undercloud in place?

With the network architecture we're moving towards, overcloud nodes will only
get dhcp from Neutron for the provisioning network. The api, data, storage, etc
network will support static IP configuration, or possibly, non-Neutron provided
dhcp.

Further, after initial provisioning, overcloud nodes will boot off the local
disk instead of pxe booting via Neutron on subsequent reboots. localboot
support is a relatively new feature in upstream Ironic, and we'll be enabling
it soon in rdo-manager.

With these changes, when the undercloud is stopped or goes down unexpectedly
the overcloud would be unaffected. That being said, we still plan to have an HA
undercloud at some point in the future.

Also, the current virt-setup that allows testing rdo-manager via deploying the
undercloud and overcloud all on vm's still relies on the undercloud vm to
continue to run for connectivity to overcloud nodes. That could also be
enhanced though to not require the undercloud vm to stay up.

> Thanks,
> Pedro Sousa
>
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 6:31 PM, Mohammed Arafa <mohammed.arafa at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello all. I am currently transitioning and have 10 days available to run
> > with testing rdo manager.
> > I am offering my help with testing and documenting as needed.
> >
> > What do you guys need?

-- James Slagle