[Rdo-list] Heads up on Horizon changes in RDO for Kilo release

Matthias Runge mrunge at redhat.com
Mon Apr 20 07:16:42 UTC 2015

Hello,

tl;dr: About packaging changes in Horizon.
If you did not change horizon and you're not packaging plugins for
Horizon, you don't need to change anything.

Kilo is nearing its release and I did some changes on horizons packaging.

* Static file location was on /static before, which is not consistent
with /dashboard. Since Kilo, Horizon now uses a config option to address
all files belonging to Horizon, in our case, everything is now under
/dashboard, and static files under /dashboard/static.
For reference, it used to be /dashboard and /static, which doesn't match
that well, when sharing a web server.

* Before last week, static files were compressed at package build time,
which required addons to do ugly hacks at install time. Further more, if
there was an issue with static files, one would have needed to run some
steps manually or to rebuild horizon as whole. Luckily that never
happened though.

Now I implemented a small hook into httpd systemd unit to rebuild
compressed files at httpd start time. No hacks needed any more, after an
update of static files, one needs to restart the web server (which would
be required anyways) and you're fine.

Matthias