[Rdo-list] Systemd extension for HTTPD hosted applications

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Tue Apr 14 15:18:35 UTC 2015

On 04/14/2015 09:24 AM, Alvaro Lopez Ortega wrote:
>> On 14 Apr 2015, at 03:15, Matthias Runge <mrunge at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On 14/04/15 08:48, Kaul, Yaniv wrote:
>>> Can you compress at RPM install time?
>>>
>>> Y.
>>>
>> Yes, you can. But that won't take updated dependencies into account.
>> Horizon uses a tonne of javascript and css stuff; if that gets updated, that should result in refreshed compressed files.
> In my understanding, the most sane option is to compress it when the RPM is built — the very same thing as if you were building a binary executable. Compiling a binary on RPM install would not make sense, and neither it would be to compile it every single time it’s executed, right?
>
> Compressed JS/CSS files are ugly.. but so they are binary files, and we have to live them too. As I see it, this is NOTABUG :)

The comparable other would be linking, not compiling.

We will find ourselves in a case where the compression has used a
version of a Javascript file with a bug in it, the bug has been fixed in
the RPM, but Horizon will still need to live with it.  The right thing
to do is make it possible to recompress on the remote machine.

We can certainly do this at RPM install time, and make it a manual
process to recompress.  That will lead to support requests, but at least
it is solvable.

So, I think the realistic approach is to compress when we install the
RPM, provide docs for how to manually recompress, and work towards
making this sane in to do in systemd.  The first two are packaging tasks
and should be straight forward.  The third we should work on for the
Liberty release.