[Rdo-list] Will RDO support Juno on CentOS6?

Dave Neary dneary at redhat.com
Mon Sep 29 14:56:49 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 09/26/2014 11:28 AM, Alan Pevec wrote:
>> I would say instead that we instead just accept that EL6 OpenStack going
>> forward will have more limited features and certain things will not work.
>
> What's the motivation to upgrade to Juno then? Upstream
> stable/icehouse will live 15 months i.e. until July 2015 so RDO
> Icehouse EL6 will be available until then. For longer support see
> https://access.redhat.com/site/support/policy/updates/openstack/platform

If you're happy with a smaller release set, then you get the Juno
version of Nova, Neutron, Cinder, Keystone, etc, but you don't get any
newer projects bundled/packaged. You will quickly run into issues
related to networking because of the newer features in Open vSwitch
which are needed, and continuing to make it work with an older Python
(or getting it working with a newer Python + dependencies pulled in via
a SCL) will be challenging, but aside from those issues, you should be
able to maintain the subset of modules which were previously packaged on
EL6 pretty easily.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary - Community Action and Impact
Ph: +1-978-399-2182 / Cell: +1-978-799-3338