[Rdo-list] Getting support for AMQP 1.0 messaging in RDO

Ken Giusti kgiusti at redhat.com
Tue Sep 16 13:35:18 UTC 2014

Greetings!

The next release of oslo.messaging (Juno) will provide support for version 1.0 of the AMQP messaging protocol.  This is new feature is being released as an experimental rpc_backend option, with the hopes that the community will take this opportunity to 'kick the tires' a bit.

This new feature has dependencies on the following:

1) A version of the qpidd broker >= 0.26
2) The Qpid Proton libraries (qpid-proton-c)
3) Python bindings for Qpid Proton (python-qpid-proton)
4) The pyngus pure python client API

Items 2 and 3 are available for fedora19+ and RHEL/Centos 6+7 via EPEL.
Item 1 is available for fedora19+, RHEL/Centos 7 _only_ via EPEL.

pyngus (item 4) is currently available via PyPi https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyngus/1.1.0 - there are no RPMs for it (yet).

My main concerns are RHEL6/Centos6 support for a version of the qpid broker that supports AMQP 1.0, and easier access to pyngus.

I'd like to get pyngus into EPEL, which I assume would satisfy that dependency for RDO.

The bigger issue is broker support in RHEL/Centos6 - base RHEL6 has an old, unsupported version of qpidd (0.14), and the icehouse repo has an old version that does not support AMQP 1.0.

Would it be possible to update the version of qpidd broker in the RDO repos for RHEL/Centos6?

Thanks,

-K