[Rdo-list] New to openStack

Dan Sneddon dsneddon at redhat.com
Wed Oct 22 19:16:06 UTC 2014

On 10/22/2014 12:08 PM, Dan Sneddon wrote:
> On 10/22/2014 10:26 AM, Ganesh Sangle wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>> I am new to openstack and I am trying to install the cinder package on
>> Scientific Linux release 6.5 (Carbon)
>>
>> ran the following commands:
>> yum install openstack-cinder
>>
>> I am unable to figure which version of openstack was installed. Is there
>> a way to figure it out easily ?
>> From the documentation, it seems that the version of openstack that was
>> Folsom.
>> How to I get the latest supported version ?
>>
>> Thanks for helping!
>> Ganesh
>>

> That's quite an old version you have installed. Unfortunately there is
> no upgrade path from the Folsom version that will allow you to keep your
> existing cloud. You will have to rebuild OpenStack, create new VMs, and
> migrate your data manually.
>
> The URL that Tim Bell posted will help you get up to speed with a newer
> version (based on Icehouse) that works on Scientific Linux 6.5. Once you
> are there, however, it won't be possible to upgrade much further while
> still using Scientific Linux 6.5. Juno will be the end of the road. The
> Kilo release requires Python 2.7 and other packages that aren't
> available on 6.5.
>
> Since you would need to start with a new cloud, you might want to
> consider using Scientific Linux 7, which will give you a clear upgrade
> path for future versions in the coming years.

One more addendum. I just noticed you asked for the "latest supported
version." For that, you will want Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack
Platform, instead of RDO, which is the community version of OpenStack
that Tim Bell pointed to.

The supported version based on Juno will be available on Scientific
Linux 6.5 as soon as it's released. The community version based on Juno
will require 7, unless significant community effort is put in to make it
work on 6.5 (which may not happen).

Here is the URL for the supported version:
http://www.redhat.com/en/technologies/linux-platforms/openstack-platform

--
Dan Sneddon         |  Principal OpenStack Engineer
dsneddon at redhat.com |  redhat.com/openstack