[Rdo-list] [Rdo-newsletter] October 2014 RDO Community Newsletter

Rich Bowen rbowen at redhat.com
Mon Oct 6 14:54:04 UTC 2014

Thanks again for being part of the RDO community. Here's some of what's
been happening in RDO, and OpenStack in general, over the last month.

OpenStack User Survey

Today is the very last day to participate in the OpenStack User Survey.
This survey is conducted twice a year, immediately before the OpenStack
Summit, which judges statistics about deployments of OpenStack - what
storage back ends are being used, what platforms are deployed on, the
size of clouds running on OpenStack, and so on. It's important that you
take the survey, as it influences the direction of the project, as well
as how corporations shape their product offerings around OpenStack.

Take the survey at openstack.org/user-survey

The deadline for participation is tomorrow - Tuesday, October 7th.

Hangouts

On September 5th, Lars Kellogg-Stedman gave an excellent hangout on
deploying services with Heat. You can watch this on YouTube at
https://plus.google.com/events/c9u4sjn7ksb8jrmma7vd25aok94
The #openstack-heat channel, on Freenode, is the right place to go if
you have questions about Heat. And, #RDO is a good place for other
questions related to OpenStack on CentOS, RHEL, or Fedora.

We expect to have another hangout later this month, but the details are
still being worked out. Watch the rdo-list mailing list, and
http://openstack.redhat.com/Hangouts for details as they become
available.

Meetups

Each week, we post a list of upcoming Meetups to the RDO-list mailing
list - http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/rdo-list - and they also
get added to the Events page - https://openstack.redhat.com/Events

If you're speaking at a meetup or hangout of some kind, please let me
know (rbowen at redhat.com) so that we can help you get the word out. If
you're interested in starting a meetup in an area that doesn't have any
kind of user group, there's some suggestions on the new page at
https://openstack.redhat.com/Organize-a-meetup

And if you attend an OpenStack meetup, please consider writing it up in
a blog post or mailing list post, so that we can help get the word out
about these meetups, and continue to build the OpenStack user community.

Conferences

There's several big events coming up where you can learn more about
OpenStack and RDO, particularly if you're in Europe.

Next week, LinuxCon/CloudOpen will be held in Dusseldorf, Germany,
featuring a number of talks about OpenStack:

What's now in OpenStack Juno - http://sched.co/1xnFhZc

Hands On Trove - http://sched.co/1yFfJDc

Open Storage in the Enterprise with GlusterFS and Ceph -
http://sched.co/Xnt6wB

KVM, OpenStack, and the Open Cloud - http://sched.co/1yGhznn

NFV for Beginners - http://sched.co/Xn5ZlL

Location-Aware Distributed Virtual Disk Storage For OpenStack -
http://sched.co/1sXUnl4

... and many others. This conference is just going to be packed with
great OpenStack content, and we'll be there at the Red Hat booth if you
have any questions about RDO. We look forward to seeing you there.
Register at
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/linuxcon-europe/attend/register

And next month, in Paris, is the OpenStack Kilo Summit. This is *the*
place to go for OpenStack content, with a whole week of technical
sessions, and the design summit for the next iteration of the OpenStack
software. You can find out more about the OpenStack Summit at
http://openstack.org/summit

If you're in North America, you may want to wait for the OpenStack
Summit North America, which was just announced last week. It will be
held in Vancouver, B.C., Canada, May 18-22. Details are not yet
available, but you can watch the page at
https://www.openstack.org/summit/vancouver-2015/ to find out details as
they become available.

Blog posts

With OpenStack Juno in Feature Freeze, coming up to the release on
October 16th - https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Juno_Release_Schedule -
the OpenStack engineers at Red Hat have been writing fairly
prolifically, and you can see some of those recent blog posts on the RDO
blog:

Week of September 1 -
https://openstack.redhat.com/forum/discussion/983/rdo-blog-roundup-week-of-september-1

Week of September 8 -
https://openstack.redhat.com/forum/discussion/984/blog-roundup-week-of-september-8-2014

Week of September 15 -
https://openstack.redhat.com/forum/discussion/986/blog-roundup-week-of-september-15-2014

Week of September 22 -
https://openstack.redhat.com/forum/discussion/987/blog-roundup-week-of-september-22-2014

For the latest blog posts about OpenStack, don't forget to follow the
OpenStack Planet at http://planet.openstack.org/  I'd particularly like
to recommend Thierry Carrez's excellent article "#1 OpenStack
Contributor: All of Us" at http://ttx.re/largest-openstack-contributor.html

More than anything, we want *you* to participate in OpenStack, and to do
what's necessary to help you do that. Please join us on this exciting
journey.

In Closing ...

Once again, you can always keep up to date a variety of ways:

* Follow us on Twitter - http://twitter.com/rdocommunity
* Google+ - http://tm3.org/rdogplus
* Facebook - http://facebook.com/rdocommunity
* RDO Q&A - http://ask.openstack.org/
* IRC - #rdo on Freenode.irc.net

Thanks again for being part of the RDO community!

--
Rich Bowen, OpenStack Community Liaison
rbowen at redhat.com
http://openstack.redhat.com