[Rdo-list] Follow up from RDO meetup at Summit: Tools consolidation

Gilles Dubreuil gilles at redhat.com
Thu Nov 20 11:49:04 UTC 2014

Hi,

Following up from the RDO meeting we had at Kilo Summit in Paris on
Wednesday 5 Nov. 2014.

Firstly, sorry for this late post, I had a week off after the summit.

During the meeting, Hugh Brock opened a discussion about the evolution
of the various tools we have for deploying Openstack with RDO, such as
Packstack, Quickstack (used by OpenStack Foreman Installer [OFI] and
Staypuft). Not to mention Enovance and also maturing TripleO.

Meanwhile there is a common denominator for all above tools: the Puppet
modules (well this is only partly true for TripleO)

This where I've been involved, working lately to provide more automation
for testing (CI/CD) around those puppet modules along with
Packstack/Quickstack.

It turned out that although system management is very important in wide
scale production environments, it's not needed for deployment testing.
This is possible because the orchestration logic resides in the puppet
modules. Moreover, to be able to do so without loosing any functionality
is a key factor to speed up tests.

Actually Quickstack can be tested without the Foreman or Puppet server,
using only a "puppet apply" command on each node. Although in the
future, a puppet master might be needed for orchestration, as of today
it's not needed and Quickstack HA controllers can be deployed
"masterless" and the compute nodes is work in progress.

The details are available here:
https://github.com/gildub/astapor/blob/Hiera/README%2Bfix1/puppet/modules/quickstack/data/README.md

Thank you to provide feedback if interested.

Regards,
Gilles