[Rdo-list] Simplest Icehouse Implementation Architecture

Eric Berg eberg at rubensteintech.com
Thu May 29 20:04:00 UTC 2014

Thanks as always, Lars.

By "development environment", I mean several things:

1) Developers work on these hosts.  We're a web shop, and one or more
developers will spin up dev web servers on these hosts
2) Ideally, I'd also want to validate our production cloud environment
so that when we deploy it in production, we have validated the
configuration.

For the time being, however, #2 is a nice-to-have and does not at all
seem to fit in with the fairly aggressive goal of implementing a new RDO
deployment in 1-3 days (way over that already as you might well imagine).

So, basically, I want to migrate from the current set of physical hosts
on which developers now work to a cloud environment which will host no
more than 25 VMs.

Since we have two fairly well-endowed hosts targeted for use as compute
hosts, would it be realistic to use one as the controller, while still
using it as a compute host?

On a related note, what happens if I lose the controller box in this
two-compute-hosts-one-as-controller-host scenario?  I believe that I'm
out of business until I can remedy that, and if I wanted to set up the
two hosts as both compute hosts as well as putting some kind of HA in
place so that control could pass from one to the other of these boxes,
would that be possible?  Recommended?

Must the control host be separate in order to do (live) migrations?

Is it a requirement that the control host be separate if I want to
deploy 2 compute hosts?

And, if I choose the two-host solution, how does the network host
(through which my understanding is that all network access to the
instances must pass) play into this?

Eric

--
Eric Berg