[Rdo-list] Creating nova instance without backing image

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at redhat.com
Wed May 21 18:44:22 UTC 2014

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 01:42:14PM -0400, Daniel Speichert wrote:
> However, if we upload a big image (e.g. migrating bare hardware system
> to the cloud) that is only used by one instance, the image becomes the
> backing file stored locally on the compute node. Here, the compute node
> hit disk space limit because we expect all the data to reside on Ceph.
>
> Is there any way to tell Nova to not use backing image for an instance?

I don't know the answer to that question...but since you're already
using Ceph, couldn't you simply put your instance storage on Ceph (or
some other remote/cluster filesystem) as well?  This would still mean
that for "single use" images you're using twice the space, but it
would remove the space limitations of the local filesystem.

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at redhat.com> | larsks @ irc
Cloud Engineering / OpenStack          | "   "  @ twitter