[Rdo-list] RDO Nova error - cannot launch an instance

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Fri May 16 05:28:58 UTC 2014

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 05:03:13PM +0100, Adam Fyfe wrote:
> Hi List
>
> I cannot launch an instance.
>
> get this in compute.log:
>
> 2014-05-15 17:02:09.225 4209 TRACE nova.compute.manager [instance:
> 31f99d54-1da0-4847-b8f0-d38fe1617ef9] libvirtError: Hook script execution
> failed: Hook script /etc/libvirt/hooks/qemu qemu failed with error code 256

You seem to be using a libvirt hook script[1] which is not part of
default OpenStack installations. Did you ensure that your that script is
invoked correctly? (As that is executed everytime QEMU starts/stops a
Nova guest.

To diagnose this further, a few questions:

  - What host OS?
  - What OpenStack version (openstack-nova specifically)
  - Versions of libvirt, qemu on your host
  - Your (sanitized) nova.conf from Compute node
  - What hypervisor combination? I assume libvirt+QEMU+KVM.
  - Any other configuration alterations you did that'll occur during
    boot time of a guest

Additionally, you can enable libvirt debug logs by setting these in your
/etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf:

    log_level = 1
    log_outputs = 1:file:/var/tmp/libvirtd.log

Restart libvirtd, openstack-nova-compute, and start your guest

(Don't forget to turn off the verbose logging once your debugging is
done.)

  [1] http://libvirt.org/hooks.html

--
/kashyap