[Rdo-list] metadata service issue

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at redhat.com
Mon Mar 17 20:23:59 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 03:09:49PM -0400, Xin Zhao wrote:
> After deleting the 169.254.0.0/16 entry from the routing table, the metadata
> service works.
>
> Why would quantum append the 169.254.0.0 route into the routing table of the
> VM instance ? I have enable_isolated_metadata set to False in the
> dhcp_agent.ini.

Odds are that quantum is not responsible for this route.  It is common
for some operating systems to add this route by default in order to
permit access to "zeroconf" addresses
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-configuration_networking#Address_selection).

On RedHat-ish distributions, you can ensure that your interface
configuration files contain:

  NOZEROCONF=yes

This is best placed into /etc/sysconfig/network.  I'm not sure what
the equivalent process looks like for Ubuntu.

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at redhat.com> | larsks @ irc
Cloud Engineering / OpenStack          | "   "  @ twitter