[Rdo-list] Deploying RDO using Foreman

Hugh O. Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Tue Mar 11 13:07:28 UTC 2014

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 09:53:35AM +0530, Kashyap Chamarthy wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 08:46:45PM +0100, Arash Kaffamanesh wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >  I posted a question regarding "Deploying RDO using Foreman" to
> > ask.openstack.org and thanks to Keshyap and Rich which engaged me to
> > proceed further, I updated the thread here:
> >
> > https://ask.openstack.org/en/question/12104/deploying-rdo-using-foreman/
> >
> > The post might be too long, here some more information about the reason
> > behind my question and some more questions:
> >
> > I'm trying to learn Foreman for installing OpenStack and use it to deploy
> > RDO on top of RDO to provide some kind of OpenStack training / webinars and
> > later to run the whole thing on 6-8 bare metal machines and use it to
> > deploy OpenShift and write a tutorial about the whole thing and post it on
> > the RDO site, LinkedIn, etc.
> >
> > About our BASE RDO environment:
> > Our RDO based 3 node environment is thanks to the latest update very stable
> > and very fast now and I've to thank all of you smart guys for doing such a
> > great work!
> >
> > Our environment uses VLAN and the Foreman RDO installation shall use GRE
> > and Qemu (or LXC / Docker) to let us play with the whole thing and write a
> > tutorial about the whole thing.
> >
> > So my questions:
> > Does the Foreman installation on top of a virtualized environment work at
> > all? (I guess yes)
>
> Yes, technically, it should work. Refer to my previous email on
> this list[1] for some URLs on Foreman.
>
> > Could a VLAN based BASE-Install be a problem to succeed with this scenario
> > (to have GRE on top of VLAN)? (I guess no)
>
> Only way to know with certainity - to try it.
>
> > Has someone tried such a scenario before? (I guess yes)
> > Could I use LXC / Docker instead Qemu?
>
> There's active work on upstream for Docker support, so you ought to
> experiment and carefully note down observations, filing bugs along the
> way.
>
> And, it depends on _what_ you want to do with the LXC/Docker setup. If
> it's just to try it out, there's decent resources on the inter-webs.

Hi there. It's also worth mentioning that we are actively working on
improving the OpenStack installation process with Foreman, including
adding a better UI and some workflow components to stage
deployments. Watch this list for details as they emerge.

--Hugh

--
== Hugh Brock, hbrock at redhat.com                                   ==
== Senior Engineering Manager, Cloud Engineering                   ==

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m
not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
--Robert McCloskey