[Rdo-list] [foreman-dev] Re: [OFI] data model reusing Foreman's AR models

Ivan Necas inecas at redhat.com
Fri Mar 7 08:55:09 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> On Thu, Mar 06, 2014 at 05:54:08PM +0100, Petr Chalupa wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > After yesterdays IRC talk we (Marek and Petr) started to look at OFI
> > models design. Unfortunately I haven't received any email with link
> > to that so we jumped in quite late. Anyway we've tried to decode as
> > much information as possible about staypuft model from etherpad [1].
> > Here's ER diagram we were able to construct from those information.
>
> Hey Petr and Marek. First of all I really appreciate the effort you have
> put into understanding the problem we're trying to solve and trying to
> work out the best way to solve it with existing Foreman data
> structures.
>
> Unfortunately there are a couple of important bits of the model that you
> missed that will make it considerably more difficult to implement using
> stock Foreman data structures. (I think Scott has already outlined some
> of these bits.) In particular, an OpenStackLayout is actually an entire
> reference architecture (think HA vs. non-HA vs -- later --
> HA-with-separate-neutron-networker vs. HA-with-one-node-per-service)
> that will map to a set of roles, which in turn contain 1..n
> services. (This is a change we made from the original model he put
> together). In this sense an OpenStackLayout is a kind of template that
> we will, on deployment, *realize* by the creation and provisioning of
> hostgroups. For this reason, I think there is quite substantial value in
> modeling the layout as an entirely separate data structure from the
> hostgroups that we will generate in the deploy stage.
>
> For these reasons, I would like to press forward with Scott's original
> approach for now. If we arrive post-April and we decide we want to
> refactor to use more Foreman-centric data structures, let's revisit it
> at that time.

I'm supporting the approach of reusing the Foreman modeles where it makes
sense (and a lot of things in the original model can be IMO modeled quite
easily with what's already done in Foreman) because, even if it might not
look like that, it should be less work since all of it is already being
used in production environment.

I understand the need for the setup and realization phase being separated,
but introducing new models is just one way of solving that. I have no big
issues with Openstack Roles and Services for the purposes of the wizard and they
could really speed up its creation.

However, having the Deployment Roles and Deployment Services and Deployment Service
Params seems quite odd to me, as I don't see added value in those models
as opposed to hostgroups, global and smart parameters. But it might be just
lack my understanding and I will be happy for somebody bringing more
more lights on the benefits of those.

On the other hand, using the things we already have in Foreman
for the deployment phase allows working on the orchestration without having
the wizard ready to be used (if we agree what the artifacts of the wizard will be).

Anyway, I would encourage looking into the Foreman advances features around
smart parameters, organizations etc. before modeling those things from scratch.

Just my $0.02

-- Ivan