[Rdo-list] Question about Neutron Security Groups

Daniel Speichert daniel at speichert.pl
Wed Mar 5 18:58:20 UTC 2014

Answering my own question: I found out why rules were not working. There
were no "firewall bridges" on compute nodes to which the rules would apply.

The reason for it was that compute nodes in nova.conf used the new:
libvirt_vif_driver=nova.virt.libvirt.vif.LibvirtGenericVIFDriver

instead of the old and deprecated:
libvirt_vif_driver=nova.virt.libvirt.vif.LibvirtHybridOVSBridgeDriver

The latter one was used by my old cloud and therefore everything was
working.

The fixed for me right now is to use the deprecated driver which forces
creation of "firewall bridges". However, as I understand, the
GenericVIFDriver should create the bridge if an appropriate meta
information exists. This information should exists if security groups
are used but it is not happening.
Is there any extra configuration required to make GenericVIFDriver
create bridges? I am sure it is possible as the other drivers are
removed in Icehouse.

Best Regards,
Daniel