[Rdo-list] Adding another public subnet in RDO

Vimal Kumar vimal7370 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 15:14:04 UTC 2014

Hi Assaf,

Thank you for responding.

This was a single node install (packstack --allinone) with only 1 eth
(eth0). So eth0 is already assigned a public ip address (which is later
moved to br-ex as required during Openstack installation). The initial IP
range allotted by Datacenter was: 173.xxx.xxx.144/29, so 173.xxx.xxx.146 is
eth0.

Now, the free ips that can be assigned are: 173.xxx.xxx.147-.150. These ips
were used up by the few VMs (and a ovs router). So next, the DC assigned
another block of ips which is of an entirely different subnet, **and making
the second ip range work in a single node install was a pain for me**

I asked about this particular error in the OpenStack list with no response,
so maybe I was doing something really stupid.

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack/2014-June/007987.html    ..
and..
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack/2014-June/007992.html

Even after adding another public subnet (neutron subnet-create ..), I was
unable to "interface-attach", with error saying that no free IPs are
available, where as in reality: 1. private network has lot of ips available
2. First public subnet is full 3. Second subnet is already added in public
net, and it has free ips available.

>From logs it was evident that "Interface-attach" action was complaining
about a public subnet being full (Shouldn't it simply create eth1 and
assign a private IP? Why the heck should it complain about a public subnet
being full?)

I was hitting some kind of port-limit there but I do not recollect what I
did to fix it (apparently I spent a couple of days testing things out so
not sure what eventually fixed it).

I finally added one ip from the second public subnet to br-ex, and then
created a public subnet with the rest of the ips on that range with gateway
set to this ip on br-ex and it worked. I hope this is how it can be done.

Also, your blog on Openvswitch and Openstack networking is undoubtedly the
best ever explanation of how networking works in OpenStack. I noted down
every word and pic from your blog (on topics: ovs & gre) in my notebook,
read and re-read them some 10-15 times and I can confidently say I have a
better understanding on these things now than when I posted this query (a
week ago, that is). Do keep writing, please!

I successfully tested out a 3-node OpenStack install earlier today, and
your notes on GRE helped me in troubleshooting like a pro :-)

Regards,
Vimal