[Rdo-list] Simplest Icehouse Implementation Architecture

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at redhat.com
Wed Jun 4 14:12:02 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jun 03, 2014 at 10:55:43AM -0400, Eric Berg wrote:
> I have performed this installation and now have a control host and one
> compute host, but am not sure of a few things:
>
> 1. First, I believe that I need nova-networking running on each compute
>    hosts to avoid routing all traffic through a dedicated network host,
>    but I'm not sure how to check to see that the networking service is
>    running on my compute host.
> 2. Lars helped me set up a single-host setup, which put my instances on
>    our 192.168.0.0/16 network by using an ovs bridge (br-ex) with the
>    IP of the host on the bridge, which owns eth0, but I'm not sure how
>    that relates to this new setup.  Should I create the same type of
>    bridged connection on each compute host?

Eric,

If you're working with the configuration you and I worked on, you're
using neutron, so you can't use nova-networking on each compute host,
unless you decide to ditch neutron.

Neutron does not have an operational model matching nova-network's
multi-host mode.

You can set up Neutron in an active/passive configuration if you want
to have some fault tolerance, but a given external network is always
going to route through a single node when using the native Linux layer
3 agent.

You can use vendor plugins from Cisco, etc., if you need a more
performant configuration (but I don't have any details on what that
would look like).

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at redhat.com> | larsks @ irc
Cloud Engineering / OpenStack          | "   "  @ twitter