[Rdo-list] python-*client packaging

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Mon Jun 2 17:47:46 UTC 2014

On 06/02/2014 01:04 PM, Steven Hardy wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 02, 2014 at 09:46:42AM -0700, Dan Smith wrote:
>>> What about the point that the CI runs on what gets uploaded to pypi
>>> and therefore the random commits are not as thoroughly tested?
>>
>> The commits are tested just like anything else, but projects that *use*
>> the client don't gate on the new code until it is released. So, a commit
>> to novaclient runs a full nova stack just like a nova patch would, and
>> should have anything else that uses it (like neutron) run against it as
>> well, which should prevent merging a patch against novaclient that
>> breaks neutron.
>
> Exactly, so by taking a random git version you run a greater risk of
> regressions/interface changes breaking projects which depend on the client,
> so it's essential you re-test every client-consuming project, which doesn't
> happen as part of the *client gate run (but does indirectly after a
> release, because client-consuming projects have their gates break).

Um, are you sure?  I thought clients were installed from the latest git
just like everything else.

I took a look at a tempest-dsvm-full run from this morning against a
heat master patch.

http://logs.openstack.org/87/85687/5/check/check-tempest-dsvm-full/885850f/logs/pip-freeze.txt.gz

In there you can see that novaclient is installed from a local git tree.

-e
git+https://git.openstack.org/openstack/python-novaclient@7a0fe3abf586bba0ad3e2756d343a6d3b9bdd3f0#egg=python_novaclient-origin/HEAD

That is the latest commit in master of python-novaclient.

--
Russell Bryant