[Rdo-list] Feedback on RDO install

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Wed Feb 26 03:25:34 UTC 2014

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 12:04:44PM -0500, Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 05:48:15PM +0100, Dave Neary wrote:
> > 1) Set up an internal network & subnet for guests (I believe this is
> > automatically done by Packstack now)
>
> This is done for --allinone installs, but not otherwise.
>
> > 2) Create a default router and attach the internal subnet to it
>
> And also this.

  yes, i got the  private 10.0.0.0 network setup, a public one and a
bridge between the two.

> > 3) (not sure if this can be done automatically, or whether it needs to
> > be a post-install config step) Attach the external network as the
> > gateway for the router, and create some floating IP addresses outside
> > any DHCP range on the public network to associate with newly created
> > instances
>
> And this isn't done either.  Generally, the Quickstart instructions
> end before there is functional external connectivity, and the existing
> documentation for setting that up is a little sketchy.
>
> I was hoping to tackle some of this in the next week.

  At that point i tried various things to have the 'public' network
allocate IPs in the range of my local LAN, I tried for example

[root at test ~(keystone_admin)]# nova floating-ip-bulk-delete 10.3.4.0/22
[root at test ~(keystone_admin)]# nova floating-ip-bulk-create 192.168.0.56/29
[root at test ~(keystone_admin)]# nova-manage floating list
2014-02-25 12:22:55.983 13516 DEBUG nova.openstack.common.lockutils
[req-854a5ff1-baf3-43b3-b381-d23966d7ea04 None None] Got semaphore
"dbapi_backend" lock
/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/nova/openstack/common/lockutils.py:166
2014-02-25 12:22:56.006 13516 DEBUG nova.openstack.common.lockutils
[req-854a5ff1-baf3-43b3-b381-d23966d7ea04 None None] Got semaphore /
lock "__get_backend" inner
/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/nova/openstack/common/lockutils.py:245
None	192.168.0.57	None	nova	eth0
None	192.168.0.58	None	nova	eth0
None	192.168.0.59	None	nova	eth0
None	192.168.0.60	None	nova	eth0
None	192.168.0.61	None	nova	eth0
None	192.168.0.62	None	nova	eth0
[root at test ~(keystone_admin)]#

 then i disasociated the floating IP of my guest which were allocated
as 172.24.4.127 and tried to reallocate a floating IP but that didn't
work it still picked 172.24.4.x

  Then I tried to create another public network matching my range
and create a router from the private network, the operations worked
at the interface level but I still cound not associate my instance
interface to it.
  So right now I can create guests, I can't ssh to them, and I have
no root password to log from the console (which works), it's a bit
frustrating.
  Someone who understands the basic operations needed to have the
default created public network allocate IPs in the range of the user
network should document those operations, it should be added to
the RDO setup page, because as is even if the setup worked it's not
really functional :)

 And I'm just fine playing the guinea pig !

  thanks,

Daniel

veillard at redhat.com  | libxml Gnome XML XSLT toolkit  http://xmlsoft.org/