[Rdo-list] Feedback on RDO install

Dave Neary dneary at redhat.com
Tue Feb 25 16:48:15 UTC 2014

... and my reply to Daniel (reposted here):

Daniel Veillard wrote:
<snip>
> The Less Good:
>   Creating a CentOS test instance should be no more than an
>   additional 2 steps, it wasn't
>      http://openstack.redhat.com/Running_an_instance

<snip>

>    Step 5:
>      Launch the instance instruction failed for me, just providing a
>      name was not sufficient, the error was
>        "At least one network must be specified."
>      it got me to the Networking tab and i had to pick the private
>      network from the available networks only selection, then launch
>      worked

With the move to Neutron, a certain number of things which should be
done automatically are not done:

1) Set up an internal network & subnet for guests (I believe this is
automatically done by Packstack now)
2) Create a default router and attach the internal subnet to it
3) (not sure if this can be done automatically, or whether it needs to
be a post-install config step) Attach the external network as the
gateway for the router, and create some floating IP addresses outside
any DHCP range on the public network to associate with newly created
instances

>    Step 6:
>      it looks like it worked and got a 172.24.4.127 IP, but the instance
>      still says "IP address 10.0.0.3" , and trying in step 7 to ssh
>      to 172.24.4.127 failed, both from the remote workstation and
>      when logged as root
>
>      Then messed up creating a local pool of IPs as suggested at
>        http://openstack.redhat.com/Floating_IP_range
>     but tuned to the local IP address, registering the network was fine
>     but it never seems used when trying to associate a floating IP to
>     the instance.

I think this is network namespace related: routing from an int to ext
network isn't automatically done, you either need to create an L3 router
and connect the networks to it, and/or ensure that your local IP address
is routing directly to the instance via the router.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary - Community Action and Impact
Ph: +33 9 50 71 55 62 / Cell: +33 6 77 01 92 13