[Rdo-list] [OFI] Dynflow orchestration POC draft

Hugh O. Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Mon Feb 24 14:06:41 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 02:54:26PM +0100, Petr Chalupa wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm sending out a Dynflow orchestration draft for proof-of-concept
> to start a discussion.
>
> With regards to having it asap I would use:
>
> 1.  [Dynflow][1] - workflow engine written originally for Katello.
> 2.  [ForemanTasks][2] - Rails engine that adds Dynflow integration
> with Foreman.
> 3.  [Astapor manifests][3] - top level classes configuring OpenStack
> HA hosts. There is [top-level puppet class][4] for each role.
> 4.  [Puppetrun][5] - to manually trigger puppet run on Foreman host.
>
> ## Minimal POC
>
> Minimal POC would be reusing Astapor manifests. There would be
> dynflow added to avoid the manual steps between configuring
> OpenStack hosts (Controllers then Computes, etc.).
>
> It would start by triggering Dynflow action which would:
>
> 1.  provision needed number of hosts in parallel.
> 2.  configure all-in-on controller using Astapor class.
>     -   adding the class to the host.
>     -   triggering puppet run.
> 3.  configure nova compute hosts using Astapor class. Same sub-steps.
> 4.  configure additional hosts in right order with neutron, swift, cinder.
>
> (I'll probably start with µ-POC skipping 1. and 4.)
>
> ## Open questions
>
> -   Is there a simpler way how to trigger puppet run on a given host?
> -   From a quick look Astapor modules should work for us, needs to
> be verified.
> -   What would you improve?
> -   Do you see any compilations?
>
> [1]: https://github.com/Dynflow/dynflow/
> [2]: https://github.com/inecas/foreman-tasks
> [3]: https://github.com/redhat-openstack/astapor/tree/master/puppet/modules/quickstack
> [4]: https://github.com/redhat-openstack/astapor/blob/master/bin/seeds.rb#L323-L342
> [5]: http://projects.theforeman.org/projects/foreman/wiki/Puppetrun
>
> I'll also send another email describing better solution to support
> multiple layouts later this week.

This looks like a great start Petr, I will let others comment on
details.

--Hugh

--
== Hugh Brock, hbrock at redhat.com                                   ==
== Senior Engineering Manager, Cloud Engineering                   ==

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m
not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
--Robert McCloskey