[Rdo-list] Why do I need KVM, XEN, if I can use Docker / LXC?

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at redhat.com
Mon Feb 17 22:56:20 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 11:42:21PM +0100, Arash Kaffamanesh wrote:
> Why someone shall use KVM, Xen or other hypervisors instead Docker / LXC
> Containers on OpenStack?

There are also a number of situations in which a container based
solution may not offer sufficient flexibility. For example:

- A container based solution cannot run a kernel other than the one in
  use on the physical host.  This may not be compatible with the
  operating system your clients want to run.

- A container based solution cannot run a completely different
  operating system.  People often want to run Windows instances in the
  cloud, and occasionally other non-Linux options like FreeBSD.

Additionally, the container driver for OpenStack are not yet as mature
as the hypervisor drivers, and may lack the features or stability to
make them an attractive alternative.

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at redhat.com> | larsks @ irc
Cloud Engineering / OpenStack          | "   "  @ twitter