[Rdo-list] Query regarding RDO Juno-1 install on CentOS7

Patrick Laimbock patrick at laimbock.com
Tue Dec 30 13:58:56 UTC 2014

On 30-12-14 07:11, Deepak Shetty wrote:
> I modified em1 to:
>
> [root at rhsdev1 network-scripts]#  cat ifcfg-em1
> # Generated by dracut initrd
> DEVICE="em1"
> ONBOOT=yes
> NETBOOT=yes
> UUID="fd67c34e-9aad-44b7-a980-b5288ad3c442"
> IPV6INIT=yes
> BOOTPROTO=dhcp
> #HWADDR="c8:1f:66:c6:d5:fc"

Try enabling HWADDR= and set it to the proper MAC address.

> NM_CONTROLLED=no
> TYPE=Ethernet
> NAME="em1"

Example that works for me:

DEVICE=eth0
HWADDR=68:11:34:19:63:a3
TYPE=Ethernet
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
NAME=eth0
ONBOOT=yes
NM_CONTROLLED=no

> [root at rhsdev1 network-scripts]# service network restart
> Restarting network (via systemctl):  Job for network.service failed. See
> 'systemctl status network.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.
[snip]
> Dec 30 17:07:34 rhsdev1.lab.eng.blr.redhat.com
> <http://rhsdev1.lab.eng.blr.redhat.com> network[26318]: RTNETLINK
> answers: File exists
> Dec 30 17:07:34 rhsdev1.lab.eng.blr.redhat.com
> <http://rhsdev1.lab.eng.blr.redhat.com> systemd[1]: network.service:
> control process exited, code=exited status=1
> Dec 30 17:07:34 rhsdev1.lab.eng.blr.redhat.com
> <http://rhsdev1.lab.eng.blr.redhat.com> systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB:
> Bring up/down networking.
> Dec 30 17:07:34 rhsdev1.lab.eng.blr.redhat.com
> <http://rhsdev1.lab.eng.blr.redhat.com> systemd[1]: Unit network.service
> entered failed state.
>
> *So in short, disabling NM and enabling/restarting network isn't working
> as my network service is getting into error state

That can be caused by multiple things. Make sure the MAC address is
correct and make sure there are no routes lingering around before
starting the network service (they should be deleted before starting the
network service). Also https://access.redhat.com/solutions/26543

You can check the MAC address with:
# ip address show

You can check the routes with:
# ip route show

And delete where appropriate with:
# ip route del ....

Maybe it takes a while before things settle down after NetworkManager is
stopped. You could try to insert a "sleep 1" in your command before
starting the network service and see if that makes any difference.

HTH,
Patrick