[Rdo-list] Neutron Problems

Patrick Laimbock patrick at laimbock.com
Sun Dec 14 13:05:19 UTC 2014

Hi Brian,

On 12/12/2014 04:07 AM, brian lee wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
>
> Thanks for the info, it is slowly coming together for me, I hope. I do
> have a few more question and I hope it will clear up more. First let me
> describe my environment more. I am using foreman to manage the physical
> hosts, and once openstack is running it will manage the VMs as well. So
> that is why I have a DHCP address for the host, its a static lease from
> foreman.

Got it.

> My physical environment is in a blade center that has two switches in
> it. One switch is for eth0 and the other is for eth1. For the controller
> host (Everything but nova compute) the switch is configured for trunked
> vlan 111 (Management) and 110 (tenets) for both eth0 and eth1. For the
> compute nodes, the switches are configured for vlan 111 only.

Have a look in this doc for the minimum required interfaces:
http://docs.openstack.org/juno/install-guide/install/yum/content/ch_overview.html

So a Controller node has at least 1 interface (combined mgmt & api) but
in my experience usually 2 (mgmt, api) or 3  (mgmt, public api, private
api). A Neutron node has 3 interfaces (mgmt/api, tunnel, external) or 4
if you want the api traffic separated, and a Compute node has at least 2
interfaces (mgmt, tunnel) or 3 (mgmt, tunnel, storage).

With 2 physical interfaces you can bond/team them and just create a
bunch of ethX.YYY VLAN interfaces to meet the requirements above.

> I am thinking on my controller host I need to configure the eth0.110
> device, give it a static IP and connect it to the br-ex, does that sound
> right?

See above.

> I do also have some confusion about vxlan and how it is used. Is that
> only in the "overlay" network?

You can use VXLAN both in the overlay and underlay aka physical network.
In the overlay network it's all virtual and managed by Open vSwitch. In
the underlay network it's configured on your physical nics and in your
switches.

> From what I understand it can have tens
> of thousands of vlans, which the physical switches can not support. How
> does the OS/physical network handle that?

VXLAN (and GRE) can handle even way more than that. You will only see
big numbers in really big Clouds and then only in the overlay part. The
underlay part is still pretty standard: a physical interface on a
Compute host dedicated to br-tun (so tunnelling VXLAN, GRE etc. traffic)
can handle traffic for thousands of VXLANs simply because it's
transparent. To the OS/switch it's just regular traffic going from A to B.

> Do you have to use a non-admin project to create the private network?

A tenant's private networks should be owned by that tenant. You can
create it both as that tenant or as the admin. If you create it as the
admin then you will need to specify the tenant.

> Thanks again for the feedback, I feel I am getting close to resolving this.

Hope you will get it working soon.

HTH,
Patrick