[Rdo-list] Neutron Problems

brian lee brian at brianlee.org
Thu Dec 11 13:29:38 UTC 2014

Hi Everyone,

I am having problems with my neutron setup and hopefully with your help I
can get it figured out.
I have a 4 node blade setup with two nics each, all of them running CentOS
6.6. One host is foreman, the other three are for openstack. Since foreman
is managing the blades, they have their IP addresses assigned via DHCP to
eth0.
After the install I noticed that the eth0 device was not attaching to the
br-ex device. After lots of work, I was able to get that connected using
these configs:

ifcfg-br-ex:
DEVICE="eth0"
#BOOTPROTO="dhcp"
BOOTPROTO="none"
DEVICETYPE=ovs
TYPE=OVSPort
OVS_BRIDGE=br-ex
#DHCP_HOSTNAME="openstack-1.quicksand.bitc.morphotrust.com"
#HOSTNAME="openstack-1.quicksand.bitc.morphotrust.com"
HWADDR="E4:1F:13:78:D8:90"
#IPV6INIT="yes"
MTU="1500"
#NM_CONTROLLED="yes"
NM_CONTROLLED="no"
ONBOOT="yes"
#TYPE="Ethernet"
UUID="ebd620ad-7e48-4a08-9875-c596b4c4648c"
VLAN=yes

ifcfg-eth0:
DEVICE="eth0"
#BOOTPROTO="dhcp"
BOOTPROTO="none"
DEVICETYPE=ovs
TYPE=OVSPort
OVS_BRIDGE=br-ex
#DHCP_HOSTNAME="openstack-1.quicksand.bitc.morphotrust.com"
#HOSTNAME="openstack-1.quicksand.bitc.morphotrust.com"
HWADDR="E4:1F:13:78:D8:90"
#IPV6INIT="yes"
MTU="1500"
#NM_CONTROLLED="yes"
NM_CONTROLLED="no"
ONBOOT="yes"
#TYPE="Ethernet"
UUID="ebd620ad-7e48-4a08-9875-c596b4c4648c"
VLAN=yes

I can see eth0 attached to the br-ex, along with the external router port
in ovs-vsctl show:
    Bridge br-ex
        Port br-ex
            Interface br-ex
                type: internal
        Port "qg-161de698-16"
            Interface "qg-161de698-16"
                type: internal
        Port "eth0"
            Interface "eth0"

Now my problem, I can not get the guest VM to talk out. It can ping to the
router port IP (10.30.1.10) but nothing past it. And from my network I can
ping to the gateway of that network (10.30.1.1).

What else should I check? I feel this is a problem with openvswitch, but I
just dont know what to look at.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

--Brian