[Rdo-list] Cheap, quiet hardware for a small RDO installation?

Amit Ugol augol at redhat.com
Wed Dec 3 06:26:46 UTC 2014

Hi,
I cannot recommend a NUC for this usage for a number of reasons:
1. No storage, internal support of 2.5" or external drives only which means
that you have to choose between a hotter NUC (sits right on the CPU) or a
slower OS.
2. Small fanless form factor means a very hot PC and the CPU and memory in use
are the Low Power models. The CPU in particular costs ~100$ more in comparison
with a none LP CPU with the same speed (also some LP CPU models come with no
virtualization support).
3. No expansion slots. Its impossible to later add a 2nd physical NIC.

As for the DELL optiflex, those are amazing but the models with i5 and 8GB RAM
start at ~700$.

For myself, I have recently built an almost inaudible PC, with an i5 and 8GB
RAM after spending a lot of time in silentpcreview.com, if you want to I can
share my build. Changing my SSD with a 1TB HDD and no GPU its about 500$.