[Rdo-list] [rhos-dev] Puppet 3.5.1 breaks RDO Foreman Installs

Pádraig Brady pbrady at redhat.com
Tue Apr 22 21:08:50 UTC 2014

On 04/22/2014 02:20 PM, Brad P. Crochet wrote:
> Pupppet Labs released into their repo (http://yum.puppetlabs.com) a
> 3.5.1 version sometime last week.
> This version renders the Foreman install inoperable. Thanks to a catch
> by Crag, it was discovered.
> I have tested both 3.2.4 and 3.4.3 (using yum-plugin-versionlock), and
> it works with those versions.
>
> We currently have in openstack-foreman-installer:
>
> Requires: puppet >= 2.7
>
> It seems we have a number of options to fix this:
>
> 1) Make the current Astapor codebase compatible with 3.5.1, hopefully
> without breaking current compatibility.
> 2) Require a version <= 3.4.3
> 3) Remove the puppetlabs repos from rdo-release, and rely on the
> puppet from EPEL/Fedora.
>
> I would say these options are not necessarily mutually exclusive.
>
> This affects both Havana and Icehouse.

We could take different approaches in Havana and Icehouse.

Havana could add the cap on puppet < 3.5.
This would be best done in the openstack-puppet-modules package
to cater for both foreman and packstack.

Icehouse could update to using foreman 1.5 which is compat with the new puppet.
foreman 1.5 is available in the standard locations and due for official release soon.
Note that would involve pulling in ruby193 software collection on el6.

thanks,
Pádraig.