[Rdo-list] [rhos-list] Openstack Grizzly upgrade to Havana

Dan Smith dansmith at redhat.com
Mon Oct 21 16:03:47 UTC 2013

Hi Diogo,

> dansmith or larsk may be able to assist.  Moving this thread to rdo-list
> though, since it is RDO related

I don't think that there are any targeted docs up anywhere yet. However,
I've been testing it myself to try to make sure we know what the best
plan of action is. I have a tool up that I use for testing this, and the
scenario files are fairly readable. This is the easiest and most
straightforward way to go:

https://github.com/kk7ds/test_rdo_upgrade/blob/master/scenarios/grizzly2havana.sh

That has stuff in it for testing the before/after cases which you
probably don't want to do, but the steps are basically the same.
Shutdown all the services, upgrade the packages on all the nodes, then
run the database upgrades, and then start everything back up. Note that
the scenario above includes a re-run of packstack, but this is not
really necessary.

To do the database upgrades, each service has a "manage" tool that does
low-level database management, so for nova it is:

 nova-manage db sync

This tool only needs to be run once per service and the order of
services doesn't matter.

Make sense?

I will try to get my notes up on a public wiki page somewhere so that
this is available someplace other than just this email thread.

--Dan