[Rdo-list] Fwd: [rhos-dev] Intention for backporting upstream Icehouse feature to downstream Havana

Jaromir Coufal jcoufal at redhat.com
Tue Oct 1 11:23:47 UTC 2013

On 2013/01/10 13:11, Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi Jaromir,
>
> On 10/01/2013 12:55 PM, Jaromir Coufal wrote:
>> I am forwarding mail about backporting navigation change to RHOS 4.0. It
>> has huge impact on OS users, more is explained in forwarded e-mail.
> Just to clarify - RHOS 4.0 is Red Hat OpenStack Grizzly version? I am
> not familiar with the product versioning.
If I remember correctly, RHOS 4.0 is Havana version. Which means the one
which is going to be released as next version.

> What is "navigation"?
It is UI change - going from vertical to horizontal layout. So it means
HTML, CSS and JS changes in OpenStack Dashboard. We are not changing
information architecture. Just look&feel.

>> Situation is, that we might not be able to get navigation into
>> upstream/master in very short timeframe (1-2 weeks). Question then is,
>> if it makes sense to include the change in RDO first and then to RHOS
>> (even if upstream/master might adapt it later and in a bit *different*
>> form), or if it should be considered only RHOS business and RDO will
>> adapt it once it is merged to upstream master.
> RDO packages what is shipped by upstream OpenStack - if you are
> proposing putting a change into Red Hat OpenStack as a path to getting
> it into RDO, that won't work. The usual path to getting something into
> RDO is to propose a patch upstream to OpenStack.
The goal is to get this enhancement into following RHOS release. So the
question is if it has to go through RDO first or we can just consider it
as 'product only' and get it to RDO at the time when it is merged upstream.

> Also, you mention that this is a change to the UI in Icehouse which you
> want to backport to Havana, a change which is too significant to make it
> into Havana before release. I don't think it's good to have features
> present in RDO Havana which are not yet committed upstream. Perhaps the
> patch would be accepted into the stable Havana branch, in which case it
> would be in RDO packages as soon as OpenStack 2013.1.1 is released?
Yes, but it won't be backported into upstream Havana. From the upstream
point of view, the feature will be available only in Icehouse. What is
the intention is to get this important change to our customers as soon
as possible.

It means, if we make this happen, downstream Havana release would deffer
a bit from upstream Havana release (because of the navigation and
branding of course).

>> Link to navigation proposal:
>> https://plus.google.com/115177641540718537778/posts/EEwGmhfDbHB
> Thanks!