[Rdo-list] Why use yum priority in rdo-release repo file?

Sandro "red" Mathys red at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jun 20 08:30:05 UTC 2013

Even though RDO is supposed to always being ahead of RHEL and EPEL, it
enforces a higher priority (lower priority=N) than the default. Why?

Enforcing priorities should really only ever happen if absolutely necessary
and will often cause pain to users.

For example I'm trying to manage my RDO installation with Puppet but EPEL
and RDO only have Puppet 2.6 which is EOL and it has been decided that
puppet-openstack will no longer support it effective immediately. But to
install puppet 3.2 from puppetlabs' repo, I first have to scrap the
priority from RDO's repo file manually.

As a (former) developer for Packstack I understand it requires a specific
Puppet version but I think we all agree most (non proof of concept)
installations are not using Packstack to set up or maintain their OpenStack
cloud.

-- Sandro