[Rdo-list] Trying out Neutron Quickstart running into issues with netns (l2 agent and dhcp agent)

Perry Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Wed Aug 14 00:09:51 UTC 2013

On 08/04/2013 09:57 AM, Perry Myers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I followed the instructions at:
> http://openstack.redhat.com/Neutron-Quickstart
> http://openstack.redhat.com/Running_an_instance_with_Neutron

Ok, I wanted to close the loop on this thread with some things I found.

It appears that the issues I was seeing had to do specifically with the
114.openstack kernel in the RDO Grizzly repos.  This kernel had issues
with being able to change MAC addresses with an interface that is in the
up state.

A new kernel was uploaded today 114.openstack.gre.2 and rkukura sent an
announcement out about it, as it enables gre tunnel support.

A side effect of this new kernel is that it fixed the bugs with changing
MAC addresses on interfaces that are up.

So, with this new kernel, I'm now able to successfully get RDO Grizzly
on RHEL 6.4 with the 114.openstack.gre.2 kernel running.  I can boot a
Cirros VM, get an ip address, get external connectivity from the VM and
also ssh/ping it via the floating IP.

So... all in all, success!

Now, the next step is doing a multi host setup.  This is where the new
support for gre tunnels will be handy, since moving from 1 to many nodes
requires either VLAN support or tunnels, and since I don't have an
intelligent switch, gre tunnels it is.

Cheers,

Perry